Saturday, March 12, 2022

"va bene"

I am in love with Venice. I think that may have been my favorite city ever. I loved that you go everywhere by boat. There are no cars, so the city sounds are very human. 

I did get an hour to myself yesterday. I needed to find lunch, but wanted to grab and go rather than sit down. I bought a half sandwich in St. Mark's square...crustless, thin, white bread triangles with a slice of fresh mozarella and a stack of thin sliced tomatoes...the clerk who sold it to me said, "Watch out for the seagulls." 

I took a bite...delicious...and just as I emerged in the square from beneath the awning, a flock of seagulls ambushed me out of nowhere. For a brief moment we were a mass of flapping wings and feet, my whole sandwich was removed from my hand with surgical precision, and I was left standing, stunned, staring at my empty hand where my sandwich had been. Then I started laughing...I stood there and laughed there until my sides hurt.

Then I walked back in and bought another sandwich, but this time I ate it just below the awning, with one eye on the sky. 

2 comments:

  1. The seagull stole your lunch...that's funny!!

    Did you get any Gelato yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seagulls, plural, yes. Multiple birds. And they are surprisingly large when their wings are smacking you in the face.

    Haven't had gelato yet, but I have had some amazing sweets so far. Yesterday, I had cappuccino before breakfast and tiramisu after dinner...both were wonderful and they tasted kind of the same! Have tried mini cannoli, something like a sugar dusted doughnut hole filled with hazelnut creme, and a little custard cup filled with chocolate. Another mom and I got away and stopped in a nice candy shop tonight, too.

    ReplyDelete